Thursday, June 28, 2007

Burning Lungs, bloodshot eyes and extreme fatigue...

This week marked the 3rd race in the 2007 Boulder Short Track Series, this being my 2nd race. The first race proved to be a quite a learning experience as I finished 31st out of 44 with only the top 30 receiving points.

This week would be different.

Today almost 50 riders showed up for the Mens 'C' race.

Unlike the first race-where I intentionaly started in the back- I lined up right on the front of the line, aling with the sponsored, spandex clad roadies/experieced MTB'ers, becuase I knew I had to get close to the wholeshot or forget about a decent finish.

I rode around the staging area getting myself into the right gear for the start, not to high that it will be tough to pedal and not too low where I wont get enough torque.

I got a great jump off the line but I was wide right and had to fall in line behind a rider with his elbows out ready for a clash and was about 7thor 8th going into the first turn. A rider washed out on the quick left and I was able to pass another who was slowed up by the felled rider, at this point I am in 5th or 6th and my only goal is to maintain from here on out.

The laps where long, just over a mile, with back to back 180 degree switchbacks followed by short steep power climbs. These are the make or break areas, and the spots where I actually gained ground on the top riders. It was the long straights where I lost time-probably need to spend more time at the gym.

By the last lap my lungs and eyes were burning from the frenetic pace along with the ridiculous amount of dust that gest stirred up at these races. My legs didn't want to pedal any faster than they were but they didnt want to quit either. I had been pasted by 7-8 riders prior to the last lap putting me around 15th. I was not going to slip further and although my body paid the price I stepped up the pace and Actually caught one of the female pros going across the finish (they ride at the same time but start 3 mins before us).

All in all I was stoked on my performance and got treated to an amazing Mens Pro race while I tried to recover from the torture I just put myself through.

The only thing I can think now is that I can't wait for next week, top ten maybe???

No comments: