Friday, May 11, 2007

Snow and Off-roading on Mexico's Independance day

-
-
-


I had to work the morning of Cinco de Mayo so my day started at 6am answering phone calls in my underwear talking to assholes who can’t figure out how to use a little wireless phone. Jesse had gotten drunk the night before and didn’t seem bothered by my work or the constant playing of livin’ on a prayer every time a call came in.

I got the call from Bryan just before 2pm, I was pretty much done for the day and was looking forward to being somewhere out of range. “I got 4lbs of steak, a bottle of tequila and some beers I need help drinking, let’s go off-roading.” Bryan’s phone call was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

We met up with Sandy and KC and headed up to Gold Hill. Trusty Rusty, the ’84 four-runner Sandy has had since college roared up the 4x4 path. Inside, with the slight smell of exhaust seeping in from the holes in the floorboards, we smoked a pipe as the cold smell of wet spring rain-snow mix going on outside worked it’s way in through the slightly cracked windows.

As we rode through the small town of Gold Hill it began to precipitate, not that that will slow us down. Arriving in Left Hand Canyon it begins to snow. We find some familiar inclines to blast up. Trusty is still going strong. After getting stuck a few times and conquering a few hills we decide to find a flat spot to chill at.

Since it was snowing we parked the trucks parallel to each other and setup tarps between them, which wound up working perfectly, time to pass around the tequila. Also for good measure we had a bottle of Old Crow and one of Makers to top it off. Africa brought a red rider and a wrist rocket so whenever someone finished a PBR they would have to hang it on a nearby tree to be shot at.

4lbs of steak on a mini propane grill while snowing in May actually cooks quite nicely. Plans for bong hits and bar trips go out the window before my head hits the pillow on the couch.

No comments: